Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Bordeaux Birthday 2008

Ahhhh a gastronomic joy.

5 days in the Bordeaux surroundings, eating fine food, drinking fine wine, making new friends, losing old ones (joke).

My associates for the adventure, Jean Peranaud (host and local), Celia Grannum (pregnant angel wife of the former), Teddy Rudholm (brief flirter of food and hardest working man in business), Reshma Sohoni (major flirter in general:-)) and Philip Stoeckl (he's the German join him!)

Three great restaurants in 3 days

Day -1: Before the rest of the group arrive I sample Jeans mums cooking
Home made duck fois gras
Tomato salad with tomatoes from the neighbour
Duck confit
Home made Tarte Tatin
A good Sauterne and Bordeaux
Do I really have to say more?

Day 1: The starter for 1 (star) Le Saint James a Bouliac - Michel Portos
Jean and Celia have the best lamb ever
Ted asks for more bread
The pre-dessert dessert with infusions of lemon grass and ginger gives us all inner glows of joy
The guys died over their desserts whilst I enjoyed my cheese and incurred Jeans wrath for having port (it was on the cheese board sunshine!!)
Service was poor and attitude sucked so I would have removed their star out of spite...
...but they also forgot to put 100's of euros of extra's on the bill so all good in the end :-)

Day 2: The main course for 3 (stars) - Les Pres de Eugenie - Michel Guerard
The best French cooking I have experienced
The mushrooms oh the mushrooms
The lobster oh the lobster
Calm down Reeshma, no I don't want tea and boobs

Day 3: The dessert for 2 (get it?) Relais Poste - Jean Coussau
The grilled Fois Gras was so rich we all felt it but I would eat it again and again until I died (see pics below)
The Tattinger 1988 for a birthday treat
The great desserts
The Armagnac
The oh dear shouldn't have followed that with more champagne 4am moment

Day 4: Just a little lunch
The mushrooms and egg en coucotte (sp?)
Mmmmm

Oh and hey weighed myself today....I lost weight over the weekend, package me up and ship me to Bordeaux.

Random images below, click the image to see the amazingly humourous descriptions.


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

No comments: